Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Love is a battlefield

Jennifer Lindsay's interview, 'Love is a Battlefield', is up at Great Writing. Great graphics.

As for the editorial... Mike Atherton (probably not the cricketer, nor this guy) suggests that having a couple of websites and blogs for a book/author is 'overkill'.

My reply: Some of us work in the internet business, mate - wake up and smell the coffee! I bet there will be a blog or something blog-like on 'Great Writing' before the year is out. The site is already supplying news in a feed-type way, and community members can comment on your features.

To be honest I've only scratched the surface with some of the online things I'd like to do but are simply too techy or time-consuming for me to pull off.

A author website that's kept up to date, with the essential information, looks clean and is easy to navigate is the bare minimum. If you are writing different things, different websites might be useful for clarity of focus and different potential audiences. Blogs are still new. Most authors don't have them. So if you want to get ahead, get one. But for heavens sake keep it on topic!

I'm doing a author spotlight this week until Thursday for The Lady Soldier at Junkies bookclub. Michelle Styles, co-author, has been covering today so I had better get in there now and cover this evening's Q&A...

3 Comments:

  • At 9:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well I did say "possibly just overkill" which wusses out somewhat :)

    Indeed I do also work in the Internet industry, and already use GW's front page as a blog of sorts, although usually neutered since it isn't meant as personal exploration.

    I do like blogs and utterly applaud your efforts in self-promotion. And while, if it were me, I'd opt for some consolidation of the three sites that cover the book alone, I'll wager it helps your Google rankings and web development budget to have them just so. And love the idea of an online launch party :)

    Though actually, if I were to voice a concern it would be for the attractiveness or otherwise of Amazon's £18 price tag. I was a bit surprised at that, I must admit.

    M

     
  • At 12:05 pm, Blogger Kate Allan said…

    I agree that £18 is a lot for a hardback. I'd rather it was around the £15 mark, or better still scratch the hardback entirely and bring it out in trade paperback at £8, but authors don't get any kind of say in such matters.

    I'm hoping that once the book has been out a few weeks, amazon may discount but they are only a few copies away from going out of stock and the reprint will not be available for 3-4 weeks.

     
  • At 12:03 pm, Blogger Diane said…

    I'm delighted that the book has almost sold out, though not for myself as I was hoping to order a copy as soon as I got my first pay cheque. Am I right in thinking that Hale doesn't do paperback? If not, do you have a paperback publisher lined up? It would be really great if you can build on this success and maximise your sales.

    Oh, and for what it's worth, I don't think your websites are at all overkill. And my own blog is ALWAYS going off topic - soz :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home