Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Saturday, July 16, 2005

The wip is dead, long live the wip!

If you don't write novels you may not know what a wip is. It stands for work-in-progress. And when you've done with it, and it's ready to leave the safety of your hard drive and go out into the wide world, it suddenly transforms into a manuscript.

What with all that's been going on recently, I haven't done a great deal of writing but I have finished the edits on my Regency caper, and since I've posted it off to Hale last week I can reveal the title I settled on in the end: PERFIDY AND PERFECTION

Fingers crossed please.

Now I have to forget all about it and concentrate on creating a story where the characters notice what's in the gutter rather than the clear, night sky. An agent has suggested I write 'a fat, serious, period novel' and I'm inclined to think it's worth a stab.
This morning I managed to tap out 300 words. Working title is MRS RANDALL and I really only have some very vague ideas what it's going to be about yet. I promised myself the summer off writing so I'm not setting myself any deadlines. My aim is to write three chapters and see how that goes first before deciding whether I think I can pull off the whole thing.

Blogging
How exciting is it when someone you know starts a blog? Pretty exciting! So I was happy to see that the energetic Stephan Bowden has been catalysted into blogging in response to a suggestion in the Daily Telegraph that he was a 'ringer' in the RNA's University Challenge team who beat a team from Wisdens in the first round which was on TV this week.

Another potentially interesting new blog has just been started by a US editor-turned-agent Agent 007.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:35 am, Blogger Stephen said…

    Thanks for the plug. I am going to have to sort out the right balance between writing my wip, which is still a long way from the finished MS stage, updating Wenlock, and putting in the hours doing what I am actually paid to do. Not to mention finding enough time for my family. Roll on August when I will be able to forget one of those demands for a few weeks.

     
  • At 10:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Best of luck to your book! As for Agent 007's blog, I heard about it, so I should check it out!

     
  • At 9:24 am, Blogger Kate Allan said…

    Stephan - yes, I posted back in Feb about balancing writing and life. When you've multiple things you want to achieve, the answer is simply to be as organised as possible I guess. Good luck!

    Thanks, Olga!

     
  • At 10:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WIP is not solely used by writers, it is an extremely common term for unfinished work across most manufacturing industries.

     
  • At 8:37 pm, Blogger Kate Allan said…

    Hi Nick! I didn't know that. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home