Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Georgette Heyer for Radio 4

Yesterday I took part in a panel discussion to set up a feature which Radio 4's Woman's Hour are doing on Georgette Heyer. It'll probably be broadcast next week, so watch this space. I'll post as soon as I have the transmission details.

I've not done such a thing for Radio before so it was very interesting. There were four of us in the discussion and we talked about why Georgette Heyer is still so popular today, and why she was such a great, and perhaps somewhat overlooked, writer. It was interesting to see how Radio gets recorded. We had to go back and repeat things we'd said that were not clear, or if talk overlapped.

It will probably get edited down to 5-10 minutes, and will be the lead-in to the rest of the feature involves an more in-depth discussion about Heyer by Margaret Drabble.

We were all very positive about Heyer, but then... I hold her in very high regard and think she's been enormously influential, and most authors I speak to seem to feel the same.

At the International Napoleonic Fair on Sunday, several men confided to me that they very much enjoyed reading Georgette Heyer.

Well, I can't think how anyone could not enjoy her.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:37 am, Blogger Alex Bordessa said…

    How exciting! Hopefully, the discussion will be on the 'listen again' section on the Woman's Hour website, in case anyone misses it (it's on during the day) or wants to listen to it overseas.

     
  • At 9:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When it's been on, post how many minutes in to the programme it is and then we can find it on "Listen Again" without having to listening to the whole of Women's Hour! (I suspect I'm not their target audience! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home