Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Monday, April 04, 2005

Time to be honest

I'm not actually enjoying writing BIRDS.

The fact shows by the fact I'm hardly writing it. It's not even a grit-teeth-cos-its-got-to-be-done kind of feeling. It's just... a lack of passion in becoming involved in the story.

I managed to catch up today with a reporter from one of the local papers. We had a short telephone interview. She'd seen my Kate Allan and Jennifer Lindsay websites and so was well prepared to ask questions.

I wasn't prepared to hear my honest answers about why I wrote.

I enjoy it, and I want to entertain. Yet I am writing a story about misery.

Why did I start writing BIRDS? Well, I was strongly recommended by a literary agent to write sagas. There is a gap, perhaps, at the moment in that market. The rewards are financially viable.

At the moment complex emotional analysis is too mentally and physcially exhausting. My characters in BIRDS all have big problems, and I'd rather be flippant and dashing.

Knew those redcoats would be a bad influence.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes it's hard for me to continue writing, too (I have problems with saggy middle). But I know you'll pull through!

     
  • At 8:54 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said…

    Kate --

    Write where your heart is. If your heart is not there, it will show.

    Sometimes, you have to go back to things several times. Sometimes by writing something else, you do find out where your heart lies.

    Writing action adventure in regency times is financially viable as well -- look at Cornwell, Mallinson, O'Brien and the man who writes Kydd.

    There are other agents.

    If it is not bringing you enjoyment, pleasure, why do it?
    You can always come back to it later. You are not on a deadline.

    If BIRDS sells, can you face writing others in that vein?

    There is no rule you can't work on two things at once.

    You need desire as well as dedication and determination.

     
  • At 10:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you are not enjoying it, stop at once. Write what enthuses you, it will show in your writing as Michelle says.

    pam

     
  • At 1:06 pm, Blogger Alex Bordessa said…

    Hi Kate,

    I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying writing Birds. I'd concur with the other comments, - why do it, unless you enjoy it? Trying to write to a market is fraught with difficulties, unless 'the market' is demanding what you really want to write. Don't buy into it - write what you want. The novel you want to write, might be the next big thing - never mind the 'possible' gap in the sagas market!

     
  • At 5:22 pm, Blogger Kate Allan said…

    Thank you all for your kind words. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home