Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Monday, June 20, 2005

Negligence (n.)

Messing about with this wonderful tool which allows you to search the text of all of Jane Austen's novels. I may have mentioned it before but it's great resource to check usage of words in Regency times.

I wanted today to check the word negligence. Sounds kind of legal to me, and possibly modern, so I wondered if it was in everyday usage in Dear Jane's time. Answer: Yes.

So seldom that any negligence or blunder appears! - Emma
brought up in the midst of negligence and error - Mansfield Park
by the negligence of a servant - Northanger Abbey
detected the housemaid in negligence - Pride & Prejudice
negligence of my own health - Sense & Sensibility
I hear dreadful complaints of my negligence wherever I go - The Watsons

Edits progress:
Up to page 80

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home