Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Monday, September 12, 2005

Taxes

Death and taxes and childbirth! There's never any convenient time for any of them!
Margaret Mitchell

There comes a time in every author's year when one must do one's taxes. As I don't earn anything near enough to make it worth employing an accountant I have to do it all myself. Taxes are like line-edits - time comsuming, boring, uncreative and demanding of very intense concentration. It's not difficult, it's just the fear of making a mistake which makes it seem a bigger deal than it probably is. Anyway, the paperwork is nearly all amassed and so I'm planning to finish my self-forms and get them posted off at the weekend.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:28 pm, Blogger Alex Bordessa said…

    Urgh! Been there, done that already this year (which is a record for me). One or two years it actually was nearly worth me employing an accountant (this is archaeological income, btw), but not recently. The form they sent me this year was much more simple than in previous years; hope they sent you a similar one!

    A couple of years back they threatened to investigate me as my total income was so low - I was proper narked, as this was just after I'd been very ill, so we had an 'interesting' correspondence on the subject ...

     
  • At 7:14 pm, Blogger Nell Dixon said…

    I'm still trying to get the right dept to send me the right form! sigh

     
  • At 10:15 am, Blogger Diane said…

    I've done my own accounts for years. Any problems, the tax inspector is only at the end of the phone and is always willing to make his/her job easier. Why pay for accountants when the taxman/taxlady does it for free?

    I also keep my records as I go along, inputting invoices as I raise them and doing my expenses on a monthly basis - as though I worked in a proper job and had to submit them. When tax time comes I just transfer the info from the spreadsheet to the tax form. The spreadsheet replicates the tax form, including capex and depreciation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home