Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Arabian adventure


Over new year I went on holiday to Oman in the Arabian peninsula. Now I've finally got the photographs on the computer I'll share some of the highlights over this coming week.

Let's start with the desert...

I'd never been to a desert before and I actually camped for two nights in the Omani desert. There were camels and Bedouin and their goats living in the desert and occasional tufts of grass but apart from that dunes of golden sand as far as the eye could see.

It was cold at night and the stars in the clear sky at night were fantastic - if someone had sprinkled too much glitter on black card. I did some "wadi bashing" which involves being driven at high speed up and down sand dunes in a 4x4.


In this picture we'd gone off for some wadi bashing in the 4x4 but stopped to take a break and I'm trying to look as if I'm in a Turkish Delight advert. :)

3 Comments:

  • At 6:25 pm, Blogger Annette said…

    It looks beautiful.I would love to see the bright shining stars at night.
    You didn't try riding a camel then!

     
  • At 4:49 pm, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said…

    Seems you've had some interesting holidays there. The desert is fascianting, but I doubt I could stand the heat, I find German sommer days with above 25°C too hot.

     
  • At 8:04 am, Blogger Lis said…

    Beautiful pictures!
    Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation

     

Post a Comment

<< Home