Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Writing Magazine

I went to my writer's circle this evening and three ladies all said, 'Kate! What a surprise!' and 'Kate! On the cover!' and other things, and I was a bit stumped for a bit, until Writing Magazine*, which came out today, was mentioned.

This was an interview I did after chatting to the journalist Gillian Thornton,at an Ottakar's bookshop event. She lives quite near me, but we hadn't really met before. So we got talking, and to me it shows the power of getting out and about, and not just sitting at home thinking, 'I'm a writer, they can come to me,' (because they won't).

Anyway, back to being assailed. How did I feel? Answer: scared.

I'm now getting used to people asking me at parties the kind of questions an author might be expected to be asked. But having people read about you, and mention it to you, when you haven't seen the publication, is, well... simply strangely disconcerting.

* On sale in WHSmiths now, and all that.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:25 am, Blogger Alex Bordessa said…

    I get Writing Magazine/Writers' News on subcription and yesterday it popped through the letterbox. So I was surprised to see your mush on the front cover :-) I think you're doing a wonderful job of marketing your books; lots people will be coming up to you and asking questions now!

     
  • At 5:18 pm, Blogger Tess said…

    Ooh, ooh, ooh - I have to wait at LEAST a month before I see it. Tis difficult indeed tracking down Writing Magazine here in Ottawa - the distribution is very haphazard *sigh*. But I'll DEFINITELY start haunting the magazine shops in early May (we always receive UK mags here a month after you do).

    Would dearly love to subscribe to it, but it's far too much. So I just pick up the issues that look really interesting and particularly relevant to my work.

    As for being known, well, I can see how that would be a little disconcerting. Am certain you'll get used to it as time goes on :-)

    As for your comment on my blog re the HNS conference - I'll be certain to post a full report upon my return!

     
  • At 10:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kate, there's good thing about being famous, too! Your books will flying off the shelves (aren't they already?)

     
  • At 3:03 pm, Blogger Diane said…

    Congratulations on the feature. I work for Writing Magazine myself and I've been trawling the blogs these past couple of months (courtesy of Shirley Wells and Kate Hardy), so I was delighted to see that Gillian - also a mate of mine, as we work together - had covered you in her New Writers section. I've been reading about your Lady Soldier and can't wait until it's on sale. It looks fascinating. And LOVE the white "armband". I have that one too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home