Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Landing-place / landing (noun)

Writing:
I was too hyper last night to focus on typing up my train-writing, so I've done it today, and ended up with 400 words from c700. It could be a little overly dialogue heavy, but it's a tense scene and terse seems right. For now.

Got distracted by checking up on some vocab details (whether I'm using the right words to describe things in the period). e.g. a landing. Answer: yes, in the 1790s this was in use for that bit on the stairs.

The super super online source for everyday domestic stuff like this is the Old Bailey Online. I found out that in the mid 18th century it appears to have been called the "landing-place" - I guess literally from its use - other kinds of landing-places are to be found on docks. By 1790s it was still being called the "landing-place" but also simply the "landing".

"as we were upon the first landing-place on the back-stairs" (from John Moody , breaking the peace: assault sessions, 16 Jan 1755) Old Bailey Online: http://www.oldbaileyonline.org

Landing-place sounds a little too quaint for this particular scene so I'm just using landing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home