Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Seven things people say to new authors

Seven things people have said to me since The Lady Soldier was published:

1. 'You mean you've had a novel published? No I don't believe it! You're having me on!'
2. 'Don't worry, that J K Rowling woman was unknown when she started and now she's sold millions. It's just a case of advertising. You know, at train stations.'
3. 'Kate, your book is simply marvellous. Not that I have actually read it of course. Not my thing.'
4. 'You must post a copy to the BBC so they can turn it into TV. Someone we know must know someone at the BBC.'
5. 'You're still working? Gosh. Isn't your novel out yet?'*
6. 'How can have you have possibly got published without an agent? Oh, I guess you went with one of these vanity presses and paid for them to publish your book?'**
7. 'Don't worry about bad reviews. The main thing is that it was published. Not whether or not it's a good book. You can make your next one a good book.'

* Common misunderstanding about the economics of writing novels
** No, I don't have an agent. And no, my publishers are bona fide proper publishers. They pay me, not the other way around.

Edits progress:
Up to page 115

3 Comments:

  • At 6:13 am, Blogger Lis said…

    Oh wow Kate, can't believe some of the things that come out of people's mouths.

     
  • At 1:00 pm, Blogger Tess said…

    Kate - sheesh. Those people need to have their heads checked. Can't imagine being a) that rude and b) that insensitive. Glad you got to vent about it here :-)

     
  • At 8:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hilarious!

    One of my so-called "friends," who is FAMOUS for putting her foot in her mouth, said to me when my first novella was published, "I had no idea you had any talent at all. Can you believe, you of all people, had a book published?"

    Gee thanks...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home