Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Fahrenheit 451

In St Albans, the city where I live, there is a proposal to shut 2 of the 4 libraries.

I tried to imagine a world without libraries, my childhood without libraries. I'm not sure I think much of a society which dosen't value libraries. I don't know what the problem is but shutting branch libraries is not the answer. Everyone should have access to the learning and entertainment facilities of a local library, and it is especially needed by those who are less likely to find it easy to travel into St Albans city centre: children, mothers with young children, people with disabilities and pensioners. I strongly oppose the proposed closure of Fleetville and Cunningham Libraries because I believe it will be an irreplaceable loss to the local communities.

I'm going to write to my MP about it... and anyone else I can think of.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Go girl! I totally agree and just sitting around moaning about it isn't going to change anything, get writing and tell them exactly what you think. Maybe you could even get a petition going in the library itself?

     
  • At 6:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As well you should. Closing libraries is totally wrong.

     
  • At 10:14 am, Blogger Kate Allan said…

    Hi Sharon, There is a local campaign and petition here: http://www.ladybirdsnursery.com/library

     
  • At 8:42 am, Blogger Nell Dixon said…

    Thats terrible, Kate! I hope they reconsider.

     
  • At 7:01 pm, Blogger Michelle Styles said…

    Write to the Culture minister. They are NOT supposed to be doing this? Haven't hey heard of the Love Libraries campaign?

    They are considering closing 12 libraries including my local one in Northumberland. Thus I am on the warpath.

    There is strength in numbers and being loud.

     
  • At 3:51 pm, Blogger crissachappell said…

    This is so sad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home