Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Friday, February 11, 2005

Huzzah for DC Thomson!

If you could see me now I'm wearing such a huge smile it's hurting!

Came home to a lovely offer letter from DC Thomson for JOURNEY.

I put a bottle of champagne in the fridge...

And...

After all the work I put in to rewriting the manuscript I'm so glad. This was the first completed manuscript I ever wrote, a Regency romance. It was 2001. I was working in West London for a fantastic media company. But I was three years out of college, and all those started novels were bugging. Couldn't I finish a novel? Get past chapter 5?

It was hard, hard work. I have no idea what I was doing but I tried to tell a story and just keep writing. I reached THE END and couldn't believe it. The fat pile of printed paper when it was printed it out made it real.

Reading it again last year and it was shockingly badly written and utterly unpublishable. But I remembered that story I'd wanted to tell then. Had I the tools, with everything I'd learned, to write it now? So I rewrote the opening chapters and queried it with DCT, then they came back in November wanting to see the complete manuscript. Still in an unpublishable state I've been struggling with it until I finally posted it to them two weeks ago.

JOURNEY TO LOVE (working title), a Regency romance, will be published, I would think, as a My Weekly Story Collection paperback in 2006.

12 Comments:

  • At 9:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderfully great news, Kate! You're on fire! I hope these news sends other writers scurrying forth to look at their work with a fresh eye and new determination!

    Cearha
    aka Shara Jones

     
  • At 10:56 pm, Blogger Kate Allan said…

    Thank you Cearha and Jorie!

    Maybe, Cearha. I had read so much about the 'box-under-the-bed-manuscript' authors were supposed to have and I assigned that title to this one.

    The story underneath was sound, I think. At the time I wrote it, I didn't know how to craft fiction as I can now.

     
  • At 11:09 pm, Blogger vanessa jaye said…

    Congratulations, Kate! That's fantastic news!!

     
  • At 11:21 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said…

    Good going, woman!

     
  • At 6:09 am, Blogger lost said…

    Ooh, nice one! It's good to hear that the Scottish publisher has it in its head to publish your story. Congrats! :)

    [Of course, I couldn't resist it! :D]

     
  • At 7:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Absolutely wonderful news Kate!!! I am so happy for you.

    ~Michelle

     
  • At 9:08 am, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said…

    Congratulations, Kate!

    I remember you rewriting this one, and I'm glad all the hard work has paid off!

     
  • At 10:55 am, Blogger Kate Allan said…

    Thanks Jaye, Julie, Emily, Maili, Michelle and Anna!

     
  • At 3:01 pm, Blogger JulieA said…

    Wonderful news! It inspires me to continue on.

    Julie

     
  • At 1:21 am, Blogger Larissa Ione said…

    I had to pop over here to check out the blog with cannon balls instead of cats *g* and found great news. Congratulations! That's awesome!

     
  • At 1:31 am, Blogger Kate Allan said…

    Thanks Julie, Wendy and Larissa!

    Note to self: find new random picture for blog tomorrow

     
  • At 4:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Woo Hoo Kate! Fantastic news. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home