Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Writing to music

Yesterday I sat down to spend an hour or two trying to finish the chapter of BIRDS which has been trailing on over the last two weeks. I automatically clicked to open Media Player and listen to Franz Ferdinand. Listen is not quite the right word. It's there as background.

I've pretty much written most of the BIRDS to Franz Ferdinand. So closely is the opening up of the manuscript Word file imprinted with this particular noise it feels wrong to put any other music on.

Rewriting JOURNEY TO LOVE was done mostly to the clever piano of Elton John. A NOTORIOUS DECEPTION lept forward when I concentrated on selected Mozart and then wrote the emotion.

Why Franz Ferdinand for BIRDS? Two words spring to mind - ambiguity and bittersweet.

I'm sure others write to music. But I wonder whether particular music fastens itself to particular stories? And, if so, why?

Blogging:
Decided to update the organisation of my sidebar links yesterday and went blog-hopping. This blog is brilliant. It should be a book.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:45 pm, Blogger Tess said…

    Sometimes I write to music, sometimes I don't. It all depends on my mood. I listen to a lot of Enya, Kate Bush, Loreena McKennitt, as well as the soundtracks I compile for each ms which has a lot of different stuff - Rawlins Cross, 54-40, Trooper, U2, Gin Blossoms, etc (my mind is drawing blank right now). Sometimes I listen to movie soundtracks - A Knights Tale, Robin Hood POT, Master and Commander etc.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home