Kate Allan

The online diary of Kate Allan, author

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Editing and Ruth Tomalin

I've spent about six hours editing THE RAKE today, and that's probably it. The story still makes me smile, and this is a good thing, I think. All I need to do now is print it out and go through it to do final line edits on paper. However, I've less than a ream of paper left, so there is not enough to do that and then also print out a clean copy to post off to Hale next week. So I'm off to the shops...

There's a new Rosemary Sutcliff blog started which has made me want to read the Eagle of the Ninth again. Except I think I loaned it to someone. It's one of the few children's books of mine which I've kept. I never had that many because I borrowed most of my reading from my school and local libraries. Next to it where it should be on the shelf is The Lantern Bearers, and The Children's Crusade by Henry Treece. There's also A Parcel of Patterns and Fireweed by Jill Paton Walsh. And then we come to A Summer Ghost by Ruth Tomalin. She knew my grandmother. I know, because the book is signed and I remember my grandmother talking about her. Looking up Ruth Tomalin on google I can only find out that she wrote several childrens books for Faber, and some biographies. And that she studied journalism in London immediately prior to the Second World War.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's a great thing when a book makes you smile! Thanks for the link, and I'm off to check Rosemary's blog.

     
  • At 9:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not sure what your angle is. Not journalism I think. If so you would have checked and found that my Aunt is still alive.

     
  • At 3:10 pm, Blogger Kate Allan said…

    I'm sorry, my memory must be faulty. I've corrected my blog post and hope you'll send my good wishes to your aunt and perhaps ask her if she remembers my grandmother, Annastasia (Anna) Allan.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home